Amidst the most auspicious Pujas performed in Hinduism, the Griha Pravesh Puja is conducted on the occasion of purchasing a new Home or House or after the renovation of a Home.
The Griha Pravesh puja is a precautionary measure to fortify the safety of your Home and its family members while assuring the nurturing of positivity and prosperity in the Home premises. It is basically conciliation with the Gods and Goddesses to keep a safe watch on the fortune of the Home and its members.
The purchasing of a new Home is one of the most important stages of life and this ritual and custom of Griha Pravesh Puja is mandatory for every Hindu believer or follower. It’s believed as per Astrological and Vedic science that a newly bought home may have the sin of millions of deaths of organisms over it during the process of construction. Additionally, the land on which it’s built can be impure and it can infest negativity and evil forces.
Griha Pravesh Puja Vidhi
A process or ceremony for a particular Puja varies as per the community, language and location of the devotee performing the Puja. Similarly, the procedure for Griha Pravesh mentioned here might or might not vary but we along with our panel of Pandits have formulated a generalized Griha Pravesh Puja Vidhi i.e. Griha Pravesh Process for a devotee which is as mentioned below:
- Ganesh Puja begins outside the Home by chanting the 108 names of Ganpati Bappa and various sacred ingredients are offered to Lord Ganesha.
- The Nariyal-Kalash preparation is done and the appropriate mantras are chanted and then, the Kalash Puja is performed.
- The entrance or the door’s Puja is performed i.e. Dwar Pujan.
- The lemon revolving vidhi is performed to discard all the evil and negativity from the home i.e. Nimbu sae buri nazar utarna and a coconut is broken at the entrance of the House i.e. Nariyal arpit karna.
- Again, the names of Lord Ganesha are chanted and the Man of the House takes the Ganesha idol inside the Home while the Woman of the House carries the Nariyal-Kalash over her head and takes it inside the Home.
- Lord Ganesha’s idol or photo, Cow’s idol and the Nariyal-Kalash is placed over a heap of rice laid over a red cloth on an aasan inside the Home.
- The Vastu Gods are worshipped i.e. Vastu Shanti Puja along with the nine planets i.e. Navagraha Puja.
- Lady of the Home worships the Kitchen by boiling milk until it boils out to portray abundance.
- The Panchamrut i.e. a mixture of milk, water, ghee, honey and curd is sprinkled in all corners of the House.
- Laxmi-Narayan Puja or Vishnu Sahasranamam is performed.
- That night is a compulsion for the devotees sitting in the Puja to sleep at their new Home.
Benefits of Griha Pravesh Puja:
- Griha Pravesh Puja brings peace, good fortune and harmony in the life of the members staying in the new House.
- The Griha Pravesh Havan or Griha Pravesh Yagya is a part of the Griha Pravesh Puja. It purifies the mind, body and soul of the members of the House and also, purifies and spiritualizes the surrounding and environment of the Home with holy vibe and a divine ambiance.
- It also marks an auspicious beginning of the new phase of life of the members of the House and for this purpose only Ganesh Puja is performed while conducting the Griha Pravesh Puja. It also removes all the obstacles.
- Kalash Sthapana Puja which is a part of the Griha Pravesh Puja is performed to accomplish the worship of everything in the universe.
- The Vastu Shanti Puja ceremony is also performed during Griha Pravesh Puja to appease the gods and planets so that the owner of the house is blessed with good fortune and all the planets i.e. Navagraha and Vastu God is also worshipped so that no harm can be caused either to the home or it’s inmates.